Wednesday, June 3, 2009

An Eventful Evening.

It's Halloween night and I'm dressed like Madonna and sitting on my hardwood floors, drinking vodka and pink lemonade, waiting for my friends to arrive. I'm trying hard not to think about you so I turn my music up louder. I never realized how alone I actually was, but I guess that's why you'll always find me with a drink in my hand.
The buzzer rings.
I jump up and head for the door. I'm happy that my little apartment will soon be filled with laughter.
I let my friends in. They are dressed as an "emo kid", a dead president, red-riding hooh and an Irishman. We share some drinks and some laughs, then call a taxi and we're off for the night.
We arrive at a pub. It's fucking cold outside and there are half naked girls smoking cigarettes and trying to look sexy. They look like idiots.
We walk inside, up the stairs and I head straight to the bar. A couple familiar faces say 'hello'. I smile, hold up a shot and drink it back. Warm liquid falls down my throat and coats my heart with a warm sense of belonging.
More and more people arrive. Everyone is drinking beer, taking shots, and laughing. The boys are flirting with the girls at the bar. A couple of us move to the dance floor and shuffle our feet and sway our hips.
I follow my friends outside where they light a cigarette and even though I'm not a smoker I take a few drags. My head begins to spin as the nicotine runs through my veins. We hop into a cab and make our way to our next destination.
We've made it inside and it's dark and Indie music fills my ears. My heart beats in tune with the bass as I'm standing at the bar. I realize I've lost my friends in the sea of people and the heal on my shoe is broken. I'm stumbling into people, asking if they've seen little red, or Bush. A few of them turn their backs on me. My head is spinning and a song I like comes on so I start dancing with the boy next to me. We end up kissing for a bit, the song ends and I walk away, remembering I'm on a mission to find my friends.
The night is ending. People are clearing out. I've lost my phone, both my shoes are broken and I'm walking around barefoot on broken beer bottles. I'm assuming my friends had left a long time ago and I must be crying because an older guy asks me what's wrong and I start to pour my feelings out. He helps me look for my phone, but we are unsuccessful. He offers me a ride home.
We get to my apartment and I'm not sure if I even invited this guy in, but I find us sitting on the edge of my bathtub washing my feet and he's helping me pull glass out of my feet. We go to the couch and he starts cutting up lines of white powder. I don't even think about what's actually happening. All I know is that I've lost everything and right now coke doesn't seem like such a bad idea.
He takes rolled up dollar bills and snorts up one line.
"You go", and he hands me the bills. I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm more scared how this will feel going up my nose more than anything else.
I snort a line.
It doesn't actually hurt. I just get this weird taste in the back of my throat.
We do a couple more lines and the next thing I know I've told this complete stranger my whole life story and nothing seems to be upsetting me. I'm actually..happy. I glance at the clock and realize three hours have gone by. He's touching my hair and his hands are rubbing my knees and my body is cringing at the thought of him kissing me. I ask him to leave and he does, with no complaints. He wants me to call him and I laugh because I no longer have a phone.
I lock my door behind him and stumble into my dark room. I fall into bed and shut my eyes.
Rest now.

1 comment:

Gillian King said...

did you just write this the other day?