Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I'm bad with titles.

I have wanted to be a rock star for as long as I can remember. I remember locking myself in my room, grabbing my hair brush and belting out songs in my mirror (how cliched). Sometimes I'd dress up and do little dances, other times I'd take my guitar and pretend I actually knew how to play and was singing alongside some cute hippy boy. I'd imagine myself being Karen O, wearing shiny spandex unitards and smudging lipstick across my face, chugging a beer during the guitar solos. I'd have interviews with Nylon magazine and they'd describe me as "shy, but oh-so-lovable" and I'd have little indie girls wishing they were me. I'd never really have any real friends, except for my band mates and eventually we'd grow up and apart and I'd probably end up in some dive serving greasy burgers to greasy men.

I guess it's a good thing I can't sing.

Anyway..
Do you remember Show and Tell? Man, I have seen some really interesting things. In the fourth grade this kid brought in a deer's head (he and his dad were hunters). It was definitely the creepiest item that was ever brought to class. I just remember him poking at its eyeballs and thinking that this really wasn't normal. I could just picture him carrying this black garbage bag down the street, blood dripping out the bottom. I wonder what he is doing now. Hmm. Anyway, so yes, today I was sitting here, remembering my show and tell days and how excited I used to get to share these special items with my friends. And how fun it was to learn about the history of their personal items. I want to put together some sort of Show and Tell night. Maybe at a gallery or something. Anyone could submit a piece and give a little write up about it and then we would all know a little bit of history about our friends, or strangers. I have no idea how to go about setting this up though. It was just a thought.

Now go check out some Mark Ryden.


Mark Ryden (Bunnies and Bees)

1 comment:

Gillian King said...

I like this show and tell idea and think it should be developed!